Sunday, July 23, 2023

FAREWELL, NITYA CHERIAN MATTHAI

 FAREWELL, NITYA CHERIAN MATTHAI

I was on vacation in the US when a late evening call ( early morning in India) told me that one of Lovedale's legends was no more. Nitya Cherian Matthai passed away in the early hours of June 30, 2023 at his home in Coimbatore.


I was shocked and it took a while for the news to sink in. I would never again talk to a person who I considered a good friend though I came to know him late in his life- and mine. In all our interactions over the eight years I knew him, I always respected him for his honesty, humility and grace. 


We were not in School together nor did he teach me but somehow we hit it off well from our very first meeting. I have written about how I first met Nitya in my blog post titled" Two Lovedale Stalwarts: Mr Prince and Mr Matthai". 

We then collaborated in publishing, "Glimpses Of A Glorious Past: An Informal History of The Lawrence School, Lovedale" in 2017.

The high esteem he was held in by his colleagues and students was reflected in the waves of emotion that followed his recent demise. In my time too, we had teachers whom we respected but in all honesty I don't think I have ever seen a teacher so much admired by his students. As often happens in such situations, most realise the true value of a teacher years after he taught them! 

Nitya had a long connection with Lovedale. First as a student from 1970 to 1977, then later as a member of the teaching staff from 1983 to 2016. I can't think of anyone else who has had such a long association with the School.


Tributes poured in from his students across the decades. Clearly, he had made such an impact on the lives of many of his students. 

This video of the memorial service held for him at the Church of Ascension in Lovedale on July 12, 2023 attended by his family and friends is worth watching. It captures how many -whose lives he touched -remembered him with affection, respect and gratitude. 

                  Nitya's siblings

Nitya, you were unique and there will never be another NCM in Lovedale. 

In parting, I remember wistfully that you would have been 65 today!

Farewell, Nitya Cherian Matthai!

Pictures Courtesy: Old Lawrencians. 

1 comment:

Himlynx said...

Farewell, dear Nitya.

We should institute a scholarship in his name. We could all contribute and OLA could manage the scholarship.

FAREWELL, DEAR MOIRA!

 FAREWELL, DEAR MOIRA! A little after a month past her 100th birthday, OL Dr Moira Breen Ph.D passed away on January 26, 2024 at  Libertyvil...